Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jingle bells

Christmas in Germany is a very magical time with the Christmas markets and all the glühwein. The city comes alive and little wooden stalls are being built and put up in every possible corner. They all sell such wonderful things and each and every one of them has something different and special to offer. Alexa and I went to Christmas markets every chance we got and still didn't get to see all that was offered. It was a month of bundling up and sipping glühwein and looking at all the special products available. The first part of December was very cold and there was a lot of snow but then just before Christmas all the snow melted and the sun appeared. On the 24th (which is the day people in Germany celebrate Christmas) the sun was shinning and it was so warm outside it wasn't necessary to wear a jacket. I almost felt like I was back in California. I do wish that I would have experienced a white Christmas but it was nice to have some element of home with me. Christmas was a wonderful experience for me but definitely different than Christmas in the States.


Lex and I enjoying a hot glühwein in the snow at a Christmas market

All the wonderful snow before it melted


I went with my host family to pick out a tree and this was a week before Christmas. In Germany they don't put up the tree until the 24th of December which is the day they Celebrate Christmas. The tree just sits outside naked until the 24th. So on that day we brought the tree inside and set it up and decorated it. My host family doesn't put christmas lights on the tree but real candles. I have never in my life heard of such a thing but I have to say that it really brings a special look to the tree. The children went with their grandma to a church service while my host parents and I set out everyone's presents and lit all the candles on the tree. When the Children came home they were told that Christkind (baby Jesus) brought them all the gifts while they were away. Then they sang German Christmas songs while sitting around the tree. It isn't until after the singing that the children are allowed to open their gifts. Then we all sat down and had a big Christmas dinner.

Jurian and the winning tree 
Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree

How lovely are your candles

What my host parents got me for Christmas....yes they got me U.S. dollars.
That was just day one of the Christmas festivities. On actual Christmas day I went with my host family to the Opa's (grandpa's) house to have lunch. It was another 4 course meal and it was so delicious. After lunch we went on a walk where we had a wonderful view of the alps and we watched the sunset over the alps. It was so absolutely gorgeous. If I had known that we were doing that I would have taken my camera but all I had was my phone so this is the best picture I could get.

On the 26th I went with the family to the Oma's (grandma's) house and we had ANOTHER four course meal. I don't think I have eaten so much in such a short period of time before in my life. It was very delicious food but I think I'm good for the entire month of January. My Christmas experience in Germany will forever be such a special one. I am so lucky to have spent it with such a wonderful loving host family.

No comments:

Post a Comment