Of course I have a travel curse on me and in order to keep the universe aligned I would have to have something go wrong in my journey. Without fail it always happens. The day I traveled to Aberdeen every SINGLE means of transportation I was using was late. This Includes the S-bahn in Germany which is like clockwork and is NEVER late. Let me break it down for you:
-The bus to the s-bahn LATE
-The s-bahn to the airport LATE
-The flight from Munich to my layover in Amsterdam DELAYED (in turn missed my connecting flight)
-my new connecting flight DELAYED ( which in turn made me miss my train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen)
-had to purchase a new train ticket for five times more than the original price
-that new train LATE
I was suppose to arrive in Aberdeen 5pm and didn't end up arriving until 10pm. I left my house that morning at 6am. I did the calculations and In that time I could have flown all the way home from Munich to California. In the end it was worth all the fuss.
I spent Tuesday and Wednesday in Aberdeen and Alexa showed me all the wonderful things to see. We did a lot of walking and I ate some of the best food I have had in a while. The best thing I ate was a macaroni pie. OMG delicious!!! Whoever thought of putting yummy macaroni in a flakey pie crust is a genius and should receive a noble prize for it.
The Great thing about the UK is that for an American it's the perfect combination of Europe and The States. There are a lot of the same stores and Alexa and I spent a good 3 hours shopping in TK Maxx (no that is not a typing error it's TK Maxx instead of TJ Maxx in Europe and the UK). I felt like I was home for those three hours of looking at every single thing TK Maxx had to offer. Alexa also took me to the coast to see the North Sea. It was cold and raining so we didn't spend much time there but it was very beautiful. We then went to the arcade and played some lame but awesome arcade games winning ourselves 3 lollipops and 2 ugly bracelets.
The last night of my stay in Aberdeen was Halloween night. Alexa and I both brought our dirndls with us and went as beer maids. We had a very nice pre-party at Niels neighbors house and then walked to a club called Gavarillo. The building used to be a school but they turned it into a club. Fun fact: many churches in Aberdeen have also been turned into clubs. Not sure how happy God is about that. The great thing about Scotland and the people who live there is they LOVE to party. I did a little to much of it myself that night and ended up staying up all night long. It was totally worth it and I met some of the coolest people but I paid my dues the next day.
We had a 9am train ride back to Edinburgh the next day and I didn't sleep a wink before that train ride. My body was very upset with me and my choices and had no mercy on me. Lets just say I spent a lot of my train ride not in my seat. when I finely got to Edinburgh Alexa, Neils, and I went our separate ways. I took a taxi to my hotel and was going to take a little nap and explore the city but it turned into a 13 hour sleep fest. I slept right through my alarm and many text messages. I didn't see much of the city that day due to this.
The next day I was very well rested and ready to start my day. I was staying in Edinburgh by myself in a very nice bed and breakfast. It was right on the coast of the North Sea. It was a very cute little place. So I went downstairs to claim my breakfast and it was very good. The owner of the place made my meal and we had a little chat. After breakfast I went into the city to explore. My first stop was the Edinburgh castle and it was just as beautiful as I remembered. I walked around the castle for a while. I did a little shopping and went back to my hotel to drop off the things I bought. I then went to a restaurant that my travel book suggested. I couldn't go to Scotland and not eat haggis. It wasn't bad but it wasn't something I'd like to eat a lot.
![]() |
| Beautiful Edinburgh |
![]() |
| Edinburgh castle |
![]() |
| William Wallace statue |
| The Castle again |
![]() |
| Haggis....yummy! |
After dinner I wanted to go to a pub and do karaoke. It was a bit harder than I thought to find a place offering karaoke on a Friday night. I went to a pub that was suggested to me by the waitress at dinner. It was a pub filled with a bunch of old Scottish men and was not offering karaoke. I sat down and had a drink anyway. Everyone was so friendly and sweet to me but I could only understand half of what they were saying. I felt like I was back in Germany. They bought me another drink and then I went on with my pursuit to find a karaoke bar. I ended up finding a place and I am not kidding when I say I was the only girl in the entire pub.
I sang a couple songs and met some really nice people and didn't get back to my hotel until 1:30am.
The next morning I had to get up pretty early to meet Alexa at the airport. We ended up purchasing the same flight back to Munich with a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam. When we arrived in Amsterdam that day it was really nice weather and the train ride from the airport to the city was so fast. Alexa and I spent 5 hours wondering the city and taking in the culture. Everyone knows about Amsterdam and the legalization of drugs it is a completely different story when you see it for yourself. Alexa and I had a blast walking around and exploring the city and its beautiful canals. I'm very happy to have spent so much of my trip with her. She was and is a great travel partner. It was sad to be on a plane back to Munich but my trip to Scotland was by far the best trip yet.
![]() |
| Just a small portions of the many bikes in Amsterdam |
![]() |
| Alexa < 3 |
![]() |
| The beautiful canal |
![]() |
| Alexa and I |

















No comments:
Post a Comment