Saturday, May 12, 2012

My New family, My new life!

The first week in my new family was really great. I am so happy with my decision to change. The children are adorable. Jurian the 5yr old boy loves to play Uno it's hilarious and he is really good at it. I haven't won a single game yet.  Amelie is really cute. She is in a phase right now where all she wants is her mom so it makes watching her a bit challenging but I adore here anyways. :) The parents are really friendly and outgoing. Such a nice change from the last host parents. On the weekend after I arrived I went with the family to the children's kindergarten to watch their maypole ceremony. It's a very Bavarian tradition.  It was so cute to see all the little children in their dirndls and lederhosen. Almost everyone was dressed in them including the parents.

This week I also bought my dirndl and I love it. Molly, Trixi, some other friends and I went to the Fruhlingsfest on Friday and I got to wear my dirndl there YAY! It was a blast. It's basically a mini Oktoberfest but there is nothing mini about it. There are lots of rides and beer tents. You are only allowed to drink your beer in the tents and the Liter beers cost 9 EUROS!! However, Trixi told me that the beer at Oktoberfest is a special kind of beer and it's much stronger than the already strong German beer. Therefore, one liter of beer is equivalent to 8 shots so 9 euros isn't that bad. Trixi and I went on a couple rides before the park closed down. We went on the Farris Wheel and the swings that turn around in the air. It was so much fun. I am so looking forward to Oktoberfest.

This week I also started my German classes. German is so hard already for me but I am excited to learn and be able to talk to the children and go to German speaking meet up and actually participate. I met a couple of new people in my class and they are all very nice. I hope to get to know them a bit better as the class goes on. There is also a boy from Poland in my class who looks so much like my brother Jesse that it creeps me out. I really want to take a picture of him but he doesn't speak any English so i can't ask him. I would try to sneak a picture but I don't want to look like a creeper. I'll see what I can do but if I end up getting one I will post it on here.

It's been a pretty good week all in all but I did get a bit homesick yesterday. My family is in Portland to see my brother and sister-in-law graduate from college and I was really sad that I didn't get to be apart of it. However, I am very proud of them. Also I miss my friends back home and going to the Bell Lounge and singing with everyone. I love and miss you all. MAUH!
Me in my new dirndl:) Funny because I didn't notice until after I purchased it was American colors.

Trixi and I on the Ferris wheel
                                         
View from the top of the ferris wheel 
                               
me sitting in the ferris wheel
Amelie and me
                                                                     
Jurian and Amelie
Amelie with her classic Amelie face :)
                                                 


1 comment: